First time or not, it is important that you know the do’s and don’ts in airport luggage and packing for a hassle-free travel. With promo fares from different airlines in the Philippines, number or air passengers increase, year after year. To make sure you are packing things that are allowed to pass under airport security check, we’ve compiled the list of what is and isn’t allowed, both in your carry on and check-in luggage. This is base on baggage rules of Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific and Air Asia — three major airline that is operating in the Philippines.
The following things are considered to be dangerous goods and are not allowed, both in your checked-in or carry on baggage.
- Corrosive Battery
- Gases/LPG/Camp Stove
- Flammable Liquid Paints
- Radioactive Materials
- Infectious Substances Blood
- Lighters and Matches
- Magnetized Materials
- Oxidizing Material or Paint Stripper
- Organic Peroxides or Bleach
- Explosive or Fireworks
- Toxic Substance
With regards to liquids, aerosols, and gels (LAGs), passengers are advised to comply with the restrictions
- The container cannot be more than 100ml
- LAGs must be placed inside a sealed, transparent and resealable 1-liter bag.
- Only one bag per person is allowed
- Ensure bag is clearly visible in the tray.
The following are not allowed to be carried in the cabin. These items must be put in the checked-in baggage:
- Nail cutters, swiss knives, scissors, any bladed items or sharp objects
- Umbrellas of any type
- Bicycle chains and jacks or other similar items
- Lighters, which contain “butane” as well as matches, are prohibited in both hand-carried and checked baggage
- Zippo lighters can be checked in or hand-carried as long as it is completely drained of its fluid
- Liquids, aerosols, and gels (LAGs) in 100ml or less are the only ones allowed in hand-carried baggage. LAGs must be placed in containers less than 100ml and must be secured in airtight plastic bags as changes in cabin pressure may cause even well-sealed items to leak
- All kinds of adhesive tape (masking / packing / scotch / duct / electrical / rubber)
Security Removed Items
These items are not allowed for carry-on baggage or in the sterile area of the airport
- Firearms — Pistols, Revolvers, Ammunitions, Toy Guns and Replicas, Pellet Guns, Rifles, etc.
- Stunning Device — Stun Guns and Batons, Animal Stunners and Killers, Gases and Sprays, etc
- Sharp Objects — Axes, Hatches, Ice Picks, Razor Blades, Knives and Scissors with Blades more than 6cm, Swords, Sabres etc.
- Worker’s Tools — Crowbars, Drills, and Drills Bits, Saws, Blowtorches, etc.
- Blunt Instrument — Baseball and Softball Bats, Clubs and Batons such as billy clubs, blackjacks and night sticks, Martial Arts Equipments
- Explosives — Blasting Caps, Detonators, and Fuses, Replica Explosive Devices, Grenades, Pyrotechnics, Fireworks, etc.
- Liquid, Aerosols, and Gels— Water, Sauce, Lotions, Oils, Perfumes, Sprays, Toothpaste, Shower gels, etc.
When traveling always remember to pack important things in your carry on luggage in case of delayed flight or your luggage goes missing or lost during your flight. The following things should be in your hand-carry baggage!
- Cash, traveler’s cheques, all credit cards, and any important business or personal documents
- Medications should always be kept in your carry on baggage, in case of an emergency, and in case of lost luggage.
- Electronics such as cellphone, tablet, laptops, and small cameras
Before your flight, make sure you already check your luggage size. If you choose to have a hand-carry baggage make sure you can lift it into the overhead bin. Always remember to put all money, valuables and travel documents in your carry on luggage. Passengers are also advised to pack a pair of clothes in their carry on baggage in case of flight delays, lost or missing baggage.